“Ms. Shah is a winning performer: natural and naturally funny”
~ The New York Times
What’s Going On
Right Now: It makes my *heart* so happy to announce my next show: Heartland! (See what I did there? ;-p) I’m delighted to join the Luna Stage family for the regional premiere of Gabriel Jason Dean’s beautiful play directed by my dear friend – and Luna’s new Artistic Director! – Ari Laura Kreith. We run April 4-28 in West Orange, NJ. Check out the NEWS page for more info, and get your TICKETS now!
- January-February: I spent the first 3 weeks of 2019 on a much-needed vacation in CHILE (penguins, mountains, moai, beaches, and wine galore!) and came back to an flurry of new play development – my favorite thing! Such a joy to collaborate in the room on Elyria by Deepa Purohit at Ma-Yi Theater Company, Compound North by Christopher Gabriel Núñez at Yale’s MFA Playwriting Department, Raisins Not Virgins by Sharbari Ahmed as part of Hypokrit Theatre Company‘s “Tamasha Nights” festival, and Midsouthern Night Dreams by Kristen Palmer at Boomerang Theatre Company.
- November-December: After India Pale Ale closed, I spent the rest of 2018 doing a ton of new play development, including for [The Cow Swallows Its Tail] and Yes, Uncle (both by Divya Mangwani), and The Knot by Liz Maestri. I also recorded a fun role for season 3 of the Peabody Award-winning scripted podcast, The Unexplainable Disappearance of Mars Patel, which began airing recently!
- September 4-November 18: After a year workshopping this beautiful play, I’m so grateful to have had the chance to perform it for real. What a treat to share the story of the Batra family and friends in Jaclyn Backhaus’s India Pale Ale Off-Broadway at Manhattan Theatre Club, directed by Will Davis. What a joy to bring Lovi to life every night and learn about loss and resilience with her. We closed yesterday and I already miss my cast and crew. Check out the press page and photos for a peek at the show <3
- June 11-August 4: What a wonderful summer of new play development AKA MY FAVORITE THING EVER!! More info is on my NEWS page, but here’s a quick summary: joined the cast of Bhangin’ It for a two-week DANCE/CHOREOGRAPHY workshop, courtesy of Project Springboard at Lincoln Center (book by Rehana Lew Mirza and Mike Lew and lyrics/music by Sam Willmott; directed by Amy Anders Corcoran; choreographed by Rujuta Vaidya); two-week Powerhouse Theater workshop of Jaclyn Backhaus’s India Pale Ale, directed by Will Davis and featuring a kick-ass cast; week-long writing retreat in Worcester, MA with my collaborators Jessie and Jared Field to get some work done on the musical we’re writing; back in Minneapolis with my home-away-from-home Mixed Blood Theatre, doing a series of staged readings of Complications, a play about implicit bias in the medical community.
- March 19-May 20: My first two-hander and first foray into hybrid theatre: Assembled Identity at HERE Arts Center!! Mariana Newhard and I played twin sisters who discover they’re clones – and then we also portrayed all the clones. Created by Mariana, Purva Bedi, and Kristin Marting (who also directs), “AI” explored identity and who gets to define it. It was terrific fun and a great learning experience!
- February 6-12: I got to return to Manhattan Theatre Club for a week, to be part of a workshop of Jaclyn Backhaus‘s new play India Pale Ale, which will premiere this fall at MTC directed by Will Davis! The workshop culminated in a public presentation of our work as part of the Ted Snowden Reading Series. It was a fantastic week of play, exploration, interrogation, and laughs.
- January: Happy New Year!! I’m starting this year off by jumping back in to the world of Rachel: the Musical. We’ll be doing some development work at the JDT Lab at Guild Hall in East Hampton, NY followed by a couple performances of this new version at Union Congregational Church in Montclair, NJ. Check out the News page for more info!
- October 16-December 10: I headed back to Minneapolis’s Mixed Blood Theatre Company, my home away from home, to perform in the award-winning show The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, directed by the inimitable Jack Reuler. And guess what?? For the first time in Mixed Blood’s Radical Hospitality program history, a show EXTENDED for one week!!! I layered up and hunkered down for the beginnings of my first Twin Cities “winter” and had a grand ol’ time with my amazing cast and crew. Check out the Gallery for some production photos!
- July 17-August 20: Rachel: the Musical came BACK!! We had three performances at Hudson Guild Theatre as part of New York Theatre Festival’s 2017 Summerfest. I’m so excited to have had the chance to tell Rachel Carson’s story again, in an updated version of the show – we dubbed it “more science, less men.”
- May 30-July 16: Baby’s first UNDERSTUDY gig!! I’m so excited to have understudied the role of Jess in Martyna Majok’s heartbreaking new play Cost of Living directed by Jo Bonney at…*drumroll please*… Manhattan Theatre Club!!! It was such a privilege to work at this NYC institution, and with such incredibly talented people.
- May 1: Spent the prior week doing a 29-hour workshop of a new musical, Bhangin’ It, with book by Rehana Lew Mirza and Michael Lew and music/lyrics by Sam Willmott aka some of my favorite people to collaborate with EVER. The 29 hours culminate in a staged reading – with music! – of their hilarious and heartfelt piece.
- April 21: Dusted off my American Red Cross spokesperson hat and shot 2 segments for the Dr. Oz Show about the importance of learning how to perform CPR and use an AED.
- March: I’m back in New York, and that means I’m back in the booth! So far I have: booked a recurring voice role on a season of a beloved animated series and recorded my first two video games!
- January 9-February 20: I came to Rochester, New York to perform in Rajiv Joseph’s The Lake Effect, directed by Pirronne Yousefzadeh at the Geva Theatre Center!! I’ve been wanting to do this play since it premiered in 2013 and am SO EXCITED to finally have the opportunity to do so!
- 2017: New year, new goal…I’m venturing into the content creation side of things! Super excited to collaborate with my brilliant director friend Ari Laura Kreith to adapt Marina Budhos‘s young adult novel Ask Me No Questions into a one-woman show. Starring me. GULP.
- October 17-December 5: I’m in Minneapolis! Working on a new Aditi Kapil play, a world premiere called Orange! At my theatre home away from home, Mixed Blood. If you’re near the Twin Cities – come join us 🙂 More info HERE. I’ve posted some production photos to my gallery page.
- September 25-October 2: I get to spend this whole week at the Barn Arts Collective in Acadia National Park, Maine!!! With wonderful, lovely humans!! Working on a beautiful, challenging new play! Thank you Tim J. Lord and Nicole A. Watson for bringing me up there with you for the adventure 🙂 New play development is the best.
- September 23: I recently began doing some voiceover work for NYAV Post, a wonderful recording studio here in the city. Today, I recorded episode 4 of Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin as the new voice of Lalah Sune!! Are you a fan of the original? I hope you enjoy my work in the prequel 🙂 The series website is HERE and if you click HERE you can hear my voice in the trailer!
- July 3-9: Traveling to Hanover, NH to workshop a new folk opera at Darmouth’s VoxFest. I’m really jazzed about this project because the music is a collaboration between the DC-based folk band Gramophonic and Phoenix-based Afghani Rabab virtuoso Qais Essar, and the story is just BEAUTIFUL.
- July-September: Baby’s first narration job! I am both an actor and an instructor/spokesperson for the American Red Cross, and I’m SO STOKED to merge my worlds as the narrator for the new ARC Lifeguard Training program!! You’ll be able to hear (and see!) me when the program rolls out in 2017 🙂
- May 22: The night of the Fresh Fruit Festival Awards of Distinction Gala, AKA the night I take home my very first acting award- Outstanding Featured Performance as Marie Rodell in Rachel: The Musical! Excited, honored, humbled 🙂 Check out my News page for a video of my performance at the ceremony!
- April 4-May 16: Hello from sunny Naples, Florida!! I’m working at Gulfshore Playhouse, a lovely regional theater (that happens to be 8 blocks from the BEACH), on Ayad Akhtar’s brilliant play The Who and The What. I’ve been wanting to do this show since it premiered in 2014 and I’m so excited to finally have the chance. Follow me on Facebook and Twitter for daily updates from the rehearsal room! And in case you’re in Florida…click HERE for ticket info!
- January 25-29: Have the privilege of working with The Public Theater (AKA an Actor MECCA) on a 29-hour workshop of a new musical being developed by an incredible director…who shall remain nameless, for now. I’m stoked!
- 2016: I’ll spend the first half of this year doing the final ADR touches on a new cartoon series, Regal Academy on Nickelodeon!! Catch us Saturday mornings at 8am 🙂
- November 1, 2015: This is absolutely not actor-news but who cares- today I ran my first MARATHON!! 26.2 miles through the streets of NYC and I smiled like a maniac the whole way. What an incredible day!!