“Ms. Shah is a winning performer: natural and naturally funny”
~ The New York Times
What’s Going On
Right Now: I’m neck deep in onboarding work for my next project – Assembled Identity at HERE Arts Center!! I’m replacing one of the creators of this new, devised piece, which means I’m playing all kinds of catch up right now. In the show, a sci-fi exploration of identity formation and who gets to define it, I’ll play 5 different characters, speak 4 different languages and in 3 English accents, and sing original songs. It’s going to be EPIC. More info soon!
- February 6-12: I got to return to Manhattan Theatre Club for a week, to be part of a workshop of Jaclyn Backhaus‘s new play India Pale Ale, which will premiere this fall at MTC directed by Will Davis! The workshop culminated in a public presentation of our work as part of the Ted Snowden Reading Series. It was a fantastic week of play, exploration, interrogation, and laughs.
- January: Happy New Year!! I’m starting this year off by jumping back in to the world of Rachel: the Musical. We’ll be doing some development work at the JDT Lab at Guild Hall in East Hampton, NY followed by a couple performances of this new version at Union Congregational Church in Montclair, NJ. Check out the News page for more info!
- October 16-December 10: I headed back to Minneapolis’s Mixed Blood Theatre Company, my home away from home, to perform in the award-winning show The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, directed by the inimitable Jack Reuler. And guess what?? For the first time in Mixed Blood’s Radical Hospitality program history, a show EXTENDED for one week!!! I layered up and hunkered down for the beginnings of my first Twin Cities “winter” and had a grand ol’ time with my amazing cast and crew. Check out the Gallery for some production photos!
- July 17-August 20: Rachel: the Musical came BACK!! We had three performances at Hudson Guild Theatre as part of New York Theatre Festival’s 2017 Summerfest. I’m so excited to have had the chance to tell Rachel Carson’s story again, in an updated version of the show – we dubbed it “more science, less men.”
- May 30-July 16: Baby’s first UNDERSTUDY gig!! I’m so excited to have understudied the role of Jess in Martyna Majok’s heartbreaking new play Cost of Living directed by Jo Bonney at…*drumroll please*… Manhattan Theatre Club!!! It was such a privilege to work at this NYC institution, and with such incredibly talented people.
- May 1: Spent the prior week doing a 29-hour workshop of a new musical, Bhangin’ It, with book by Rehana Lew Mirza and Michael Lew and music/lyrics by Sam Willmott aka some of my favorite people to collaborate with EVER. The 29 hours culminate in a staged reading – with music! – of their hilarious and heartfelt piece.
- April 21: Dusted off my American Red Cross spokesperson hat and shot 2 segments for the Dr. Oz Show about the importance of learning how to perform CPR and use an AED.
- March: I’m back in New York, and that means I’m back in the booth! So far I have: booked a recurring voice role on a season of a beloved animated series and recorded my first two video games!
- January 9-February 20: I came to Rochester, New York to perform in Rajiv Joseph’s The Lake Effect, directed by Pirronne Yousefzadeh at the Geva Theatre Center!! I’ve been wanting to do this play since it premiered in 2013 and am SO EXCITED to finally have the opportunity to do so!
- 2017: New year, new goal…I’m venturing into the content creation side of things! Super excited to collaborate with my brilliant director friend Ari Laura Kreith to adapt Marina Budhos‘s young adult novel Ask Me No Questions into a one-woman show. Starring me. GULP.
- October 17-December 5: I’m in Minneapolis! Working on a new Aditi Kapil play, a world premiere called Orange! At my theatre home away from home, Mixed Blood. If you’re near the Twin Cities – come join us 🙂 More info HERE. I’ve posted some production photos to my gallery page.
- September 25-October 2: I get to spend this whole week at the Barn Arts Collective in Acadia National Park, Maine!!! With wonderful, lovely humans!! Working on a beautiful, challenging new play! Thank you Tim J. Lord and Nicole A. Watson for bringing me up there with you for the adventure 🙂 New play development is the best.
- September 23: I recently began doing some voiceover work for NYAV Post, a wonderful recording studio here in the city. Today, I recorded episode 4 of Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin as the new voice of Lalah Sune!! Are you a fan of the original? I hope you enjoy my work in the prequel 🙂 The series website is HERE and if you click HERE you can hear my voice in the trailer!
- July 3-9: Traveling to Hanover, NH to workshop a new folk opera at Darmouth’s VoxFest. I’m really jazzed about this project because the music is a collaboration between the DC-based folk band Gramophonic and Phoenix-based Afghani Rabab virtuoso Qais Essar, and the story is just BEAUTIFUL.
- July-September: Baby’s first narration job! I am both an actor and an instructor/spokesperson for the American Red Cross, and I’m SO STOKED to merge my worlds as the narrator for the new ARC Lifeguard Training program!! You’ll be able to hear (and see!) me when the program rolls out in 2017 🙂
- May 22: The night of the Fresh Fruit Festival Awards of Distinction Gala, AKA the night I take home my very first acting award- Outstanding Featured Performance as Marie Rodell in Rachel: The Musical! Excited, honored, humbled 🙂 Check out my News page for a video of my performance at the ceremony!
- April 4-May 16: Hello from sunny Naples, Florida!! I’m working at Gulfshore Playhouse, a lovely regional theater (that happens to be 8 blocks from the BEACH), on Ayad Akhtar’s brilliant play The Who and The What. I’ve been wanting to do this show since it premiered in 2014 and I’m so excited to finally have the chance. Follow me on Facebook and Twitter for daily updates from the rehearsal room! And in case you’re in Florida…click HERE for ticket info!
- January 25-29: Have the privilege of working with The Public Theater (AKA an Actor MECCA) on a 29-hour workshop of a new musical being developed by an incredible director…who shall remain nameless, for now. I’m stoked!
- 2016: I’ll spend the first half of this year doing the final ADR touches on a new cartoon series, Regal Academy on Nickelodeon!! Catch us Saturday mornings at 8am 🙂
- November 1, 2015: This is absolutely not actor-news but who cares- today I ran my first MARATHON!! 26.2 miles through the streets of NYC and I smiled like a maniac the whole way. What an incredible day!!