“Ms. Shah is a winning performer: natural and naturally funny”
~ The New York Times
What’s Going On:
- August 20-21: A weekend in the Berkshires? Sure! Especially when it involves doing a staged reading of a Lauren Yee play! I’ll be part of the cast of Samsara for WAM Theatre‘s Fresh Takes reading series.
- July 16: Reuniting with playwright Jacob Marx Rice and Director Anna Strasser to do a staged reading of the final piece of Jacob’s “Suicide Comedies” trilogy, called Cracks, in Pipeline Theatre Company‘s Bonfire Series.
- July 3-9: Traveling to Hanover, NH to workshop a new folk opera at Darmouth’s VoxFest. I’m really jazzed about this project because the music is a collaboration between the DC-based folk band Gramophonic and Phoenix-based Afghani Rabab virtuoso Qais Essar, and the story is just BEAUTIFUL.
- July-September: Baby;s first narration job! I am both an actor and an instructor/spokesperson for the American Red Cross, and I’m SO STOKED to merge my worlds as the narrator for the new ARC Lifeguard Training program!! You’ll be able to hear (and see!) me when the program rolls out in 2017 🙂
- June 22: Super excited to flex my site-specific theatre muscles in a new play by the legendary Tina Howe, directed by the wonderful Ari Laura Kreith, and being mounted ON A BUS at the New York Transit Museum!! Click HERE to join us!
- June 10: Desipina reunion night! A super casual gathering of some of my favorite artist people. Of course, we will be making and performing the art!
- May 22: The night of the Fresh Fruit Festival Awards of Distinction Gala, AKA the night I take home my very first acting award- Outstanding Featured Performance as Marie Rodell in Rachel: The Musical! Excited, honored, humbled 🙂 Check out my News page for a video of my performance at the ceremony!
- April 4-May 16: Hello from sunny Naples, Florida!! I’m working at Gulfshore Playhouse, a lovely regional theater (that happens to be 8 blocks from the BEACH), on Ayad Akhtar’s brilliant play The Who and The What. I’ve been wanting to do this show since it premiered in 2014 and I’m so excited to finally have the chance. Follow me on Facebook and Twitter for daily updates from the rehearsal room! And in case you’re in Florida…click HERE for ticket info!
- March 25-27: Know what’s an awkward-yet-strangely-controversial topic? Taxidermy. I’m excited to tackle the subject matter while exercising some comedic chops for an NYU grad student’s short film!
- March 18: This is as close as I’m willing to get to performing Shakespeare- playing a character in an unfinished Shakespearean play on a quest in modern-day England to discover how my story really ends. Dennis Agle Jr.’s Incompleat Works will be presented in Boomerang Theatre Company‘s First Flight Festival directed by Tim Errickson. More info/to reserve a seat click HERE.
- March 7: Excited to work with Amios for the first time- catch me channeling my inner Norse Fate in a reading of the new folk musical The Ash Tree Spinners, by Liz Thaler and Erik Saxvik and directed by Jess Chayes! More info/to reserve a seat, click HERE.
- January 25-29: Have the privilege of working with The Public Theater (AKA an Actor MECCA) on a 29-hour workshop of a new musical being developed by an incredible director…who shall remain nameless, for now. I’m stoked!
- 2016: I’ll spend the first half of this year doing the final ADR touches on a new cartoon series…and then starting to record pre-lay for season 2!!
- November 1, 2015: This is absolutely not actor-news but who cares- today I ran my first MARATHON!! 26.2 miles through the streets of NYC and I smiled like a maniac the whole way. What an incredible day!!